Particularly, in 1553 the Saint saved the island of famine . The procession on Easter Saturday commemorates this event . In 1630 he relieved the island of the plague . The procession on the Orthodox Palm Sunday commemorates this event . In 1673 he intervened once more, saving again Corfu of the plague . The procession on the first Sunday of November commemorates this miraculous intervention . Finally, in 1716 he relieved the island of the siege of the Turkish army . The procession on 11 August commemorates this event .
Virgin Mary of the Foreigners
In the centre of the Old Town
(Piazza) and the corner of the small square that Corfiots call « Plakada t'Agiou
» there is a majestic church with wooden roof
built by monk Nikodemos (early 18th century) and was the community church of people from Epirus, who had arrived in Corfu
as financial and political immigrants. It is devoted to Virgin Mary Faneromeni. It has got a wooden templon
and a ceiling
painted by N. Koutouzis
Agios Nikolaos dei Vecchi (of the old people)
A building of the 14th century
with additions and new parts
up to the 17th century
, when today's carved templon
and chapel of Agios Nikolaos was constructed ( Baroque
). From an architect's view, the church is a Basilique
. Its original architecture has been modified, due to various destructions
It is in the end of Philarminikis Street, on the stairway that goes to « Kampiello
It was the office of head priests
(it is possible that it owes its name to that) and it also housed
, from 1575 until 1725, the holy relique of Agia Theodora the Empress
It is here that was baptised
on 11 February 1776, Ioannis Kapodistrias
, who was the Foreign Affairs Minister of Russia (1815), the person who created the Constitution of Switzwerland (1814) and the first governor of Greece (1828).
The church was given to the Serbs
to serve as a Cathedral during World War I
, when Corfu welcomed the exiled
government and what was left of the Serbian army
The gathering hall of the
Church was a meeting place for the resistance
during the Nazi occupation.
Here you can bow before the largest part of the Holy Cross
in Corfu, as well as part of the relique of Agios Nikolaos
, Agios Lazaros
and parts of other holy reliques.
You can admire the icons
and a wonderful representation of Chist on the Cross created by the great Cretan Hagiographer Emm. Tzanes
. You can also see the remarkable icons on the outside part of the templon
, (Holy Communion, Agia Kerkyra and Agia Theodora the Empress), created by Michael Damaskinos
. There are also icons by other important hagiographers of the post-Byzantine era, two icons of Italian manner, as well as the icon of Virgin Mary Kyropoula.
Saint John the Baptist
A 15th century church (1480)
created by families of the then noble class
(Avramis, Androutselis, Voulgaris, Theotokis, Kouartanos, Kapodistrias, Polylas, Dousmanis, Romanos, Chalikiopoulos etc).
The Church is a quadrangular Basilica , surrounded by narthex on the three sides (south, north and west). On the northert narthex there are frescoes
of an unknown hagiographer. Its northern and southern wall
are covered by frescoes
showing the prophetess of the Old Testament and date back to the time ( 1450 – 1550
) of the peak of the frescoes.
During the Venetian rule, the narthex
was used as a cemetery
for the members of the Fraternity. Today, there are several tombs
, among which the tomb of a Russian Captain
, of the suite of Admiral Usakov
, ( 1799
The Church was the office of significant head priests
for several years, up to 1717, when took place the last restauration works.
The head priest of this church was
for many years the great teacher of
the Greek enslaved nation, Corfiot Nikiphoros Theotokis
, brilliant writer
and famous ecclesiastic orator
(1736- 1805), who, because of his important personality was invited
by the Emperess of Russia Ekaterini II
. There, he was made Archbishop pf Slavenion
and then of Astrachan
It is the only church
which has the pulpit on the southern wall
and this happened so that the crowds of people that came to the church to hear the wonderful orator , regardless of religion or creed
could all attend his speeched
Take a look at
of Corfiot marble
, with the icons
by known hagiographers of the Cretan-Corfiot School
, like the ceiling
by the famous Corfiot painter Spyridon Sperantzas
(1773), the icons of Christ and the icons of the templon
of the most famous and skilled hagiographers of the so-called Ionian Schoo Chyssoloras and Tzenos
, the templon doors
by Emmanuel Tzannes
and the work of a great unknown popular painter.
On the Hol Table (altar) there is a woderful pyx of the Russian manner
In the church there is a shrine
, where are kept reliques
of Agios Ioannis Chrysostomos
and Agios Ioannis Damaskinos
In the small museum
of the church are exhibited the vestments
and the pectoral cross
of Nikiphoros Theotokis
, as well as two vestments
from Russia and a diaconal
, donation of Nikiphoros Theotokis to the church the time
that he was in Russia
This is the church that attended
the National Poet of Greece Dionysios Solomos
, Ioannis Kapodistrias
, Iakovos Polylas
while a church warden was the composer
of the National Anthem of Greece Nikolaos Mantzaros
Virgin Mary Spilaiotissa
After the d'Anjoux eliminated
(d'Anjou - 1272
) the Greek Orthodox Metropolite
of Corfu (in an attempt to change the people's creed), Corfu
no longer had a Cathedral
. The Corfiots considered
the Cathedral to be , instead,
the church where the head priest was in charge
(as a substitute of the Metropolite, with administrative and regulatory powers, but without an unction and without the possibility to perform consecrations ). The last " Cathedrals
" were Agios Nikolaos
dei Vecchi, Agios Ioannis
(1712-1841) (destroyed during World War II).
When the Orthodox Russians
become rulers of Corfu, with Admiral Usakov in the lead, who was to be later declared a Saint of the Russian Church
(1799), the first Greek state
of the Ionian State was founded (1800) and the Orthodox Metropolite
was rehabilitated. In 1841
, the church of Voirgin Mary Spilaiotissa
was declared to be the Cathedral of Corfu
The main church was built in 1577
and it got its actual form
in 1913 with some major transformations
. When the church
became the Cathedral of Corfu ,
’ the icon
of Virgin Mary Dimosiana was transferred there
, ( the protector of
Cprfu Town 15th century
), as well as the holy relique of Agia Theodora the Emperess
(brought to Corfu from Constantinople by clergyman Gregorios Polyefktos in 1456
You can admire
and the icons
, fruit of the wonderful 16th century art
, as well as the templon doors
with the icons of the Cretan hagiographer Emmanuel Tzanes
We also highlight the large icon of the Crucifiction
manner) and the three oversized paintings
of Italian manner, with representations of the Old Testament
, parts of a tetralogy (the fourth painting of which was destroyed by the bombardments of World War II). You will also see work of the
great painters Damaskinos
(16th century) and Paramythiotis
The name Spileotissa is due to the adjacent gate " Porta Spilea
", which was one of the main entrance gated to the Town.
Brief history of Agia Theodora.
Agia Theodora was born in 815 AD, in Paphlagonia of Asia Minor, the time of the war of icons .
In 830 AD, when she was only 15 years old, she was married to Emperor Theophilos who died 12 years later( 842 ), making Theodora the Emperess of the Byzantine Empire, as the guardian of her son, Michael, who was a minor. At this point, she approved of the minutes of the 7th Ecumenical Council of Nicaea ( 787 AD ), she replaced the Patriarch and restaured the icons. Upon the decision of the Holy Synod, on 11 February 842, first Sunday of the Lent Period before Easter, the clergy gathered at the church of Agia Sophia in Constantinople and with Empress Theodora at the head of the procedure, they performed the Procession of the Holy Icons . The Greek Orthodox Church honors and celebrates this event every year on the first Sunday of the Lent Period before Easter, which bears the name Sunday of Orthodoxy .
Saint Theodora died on 11 February 867 at the monastery where she lived upon order of her son, Michael. The Greek Orthodox Church declared her to be a Saint .
The historic church of Agioi Pantes and Virgin Mary Vlachairena was first built in 1688. Later on it was connected to the church of Virgin Mary Vlachairena of the butcher's cooperative , and the Church got its current form( 1851 ). It was then that the templon with the famous portable icons and the icon of Virgin Mary Vlachairena were brough to this church .
The butchers' cooperative supported the Church. For every calf that they killed, they gave the money for one of the legs that they sold to a separate funds in favor of the Church .
Despite the fact that the cooperative of the butchers, (as well as amy other cooperative in Corfu) doesn't exist anymore, there is still the habit of the butchers supporting the council of the church.
You can admire icons and relics of a special artistic and historic value . What's special here is Jesus on the Cross in the Altar, the three templon doors and icons by Geogrios Chrysoloras, Theodoros Agelatos, Daniel Koklas and Samartzis and the templon, covered with silver sheets .
In the end
of the road from the Liston
to the Old port of Spilia
(Nikiphorou Theotoki street), there is the historic
church of Agios Antonios. In this church attended the Mass in 1437
Emperor Ioannis VIII Paleologos
(brother of Konstantinos Paleologos, last Emperor of the Byzantine Empire), Ecumenical Patriarch Joseph and the Imperial
escort when they stopped here during their journey to Ferrara ( congress of Ferrara(
). Two people of the escort were Georgios Scholarios (Gennadios) and Georgios Gemistos (Plithon).
Agioi Iasonas and Sosipatros
church of Byzantine
around 1000 AD
at the area of Anemomylos. The construction of a luxurious
church at the Anemomylos suburb, so far away
from the fortified town, shows the prosperity
and the safety
that Corfu enjoyed. Admire
the church itself
as well as art pieces by important painters
like Emmanuel Tzannes
(17th century). Here are kept the relics
of Saints Iason and Sosipatros.
Virgin Mary Kremasti
A church of the Ionian manner, built before the 16th century
. It is special for its geometric decoration
and its luxurious interior
with the marble
templon, the doors of which are decorated with representations of vine leaves and impressive large icons
The carved angel
on top of the roof( by
the Italian sculptor Toretti
, 18th century) is the main feature of this church, which is relatively a simple church of the Ionian manner (early 16th century
.). It is in the Taxiarches Square
In this church there used to be the historic church of Taxiarches, which was destroyed by a Nazi bombardment during World War II. The very same bombardments caused serious damage to the Church of Pantokratoras,too .
Saint Jacob's Catholic Cathedral (Duomo)
of the Catholic community
is situated at the Town Hall square. An elegant building
, restaured after the World War II bombardments (1943)
, with the typical baroque curve at the upper front part, the Gothic tower and the tall belltower. It underwent serious
damage of a Nazi bombardment during World War II.
Church of Saint Francis of Assisi.
One of the most historic churches of Corfu
. It's so old, that we don't know exactly when it was constructed. What we do know is that it was given to a
female monastery in the period of the Epirus Despotate ( 12th century
period of Angeloi Komninoi).
The church is a living historic monument
of the schism
and the rivalry of the Orthodox and the Catholic Church.
When the d'Anjoux took over Corfu (d'Anjou - 1272 ) they eliminated the Orthodox Archbishop, they confiscated the ecclesiastic property and they took from the Orthodox the best churches . Later on this church was given to the Latin monks of Saint Francis of Assisi( 1367 ). Only in 1943 , after the end of World War II, the Catholic Vicar gave to the Orthodox Metropolite of Corfu the holy reliques of Saint Arsenios, Iason and Sosipatros , which were kept in a crypt of the church.
In this church, the Corfiots gave the town keys to the Venetian admiral Giovanni Miani, surrendering to the Serene Republic of Venice . (20/5/ 1386 )
Virgin Maru pf Tenedos.
A Catholic Monastery
of the early 18th century with important
history. The church was built
from 1678-1688, under the Latin Bishop Marco Antonio Barbarigo
in the place of an older church and was inaugurated
by the Latin Bishop Antonio Nanni
(1742-1765). It is an important
church with a dome,
double lateral chapels and a bell tower. It owes its name
to the monks
that had to abandon Tenedos
, after its fall to the Ottomans in 1657
and come to Corfu, bringing along the wonderful icon of the Virgin Mary
At the central entrance there is a curved representation of the Venetian lion
and the inscription "Sub Ubra Alarum Tuatum Protege nos MDCCXII". On either side there is the emblem of the Donas family (right) and the emblem of the Franciscan Monks (left)
The Tenedos monastery housed for the first time the public library of Corfu (1800-1807), the fisrt Greek teacher's school (1805) supervised by Ioannis Kapodistrias and the first Greek printing house , where the " Thourios " of Rigas Ferreos was imprinted (an early singer and martyr of the Greek revolution).
Agios Georgios - Old Fortress .
Anglican Church for the English soldiers
. Built on the designs of Antony Emmet
. Its interior
was destroyed by the German bombardments
in 1943 and it was restaured
to its original form in 2008
. After the unification of the Ionian islands to Greece, it is an Orthodox church
and the old stone templon of the church of Agios Spyridon has been installed here
; the templon at the Agios Spyridon church was replaced with a marble one in the early 2th century. Until the mid 20th century, it was the only church in Corfu
where the night Mass of the
Resurrection was held
. Later on, the Mass of the Resurrection was transferred to the church of Agia Paraskevi
, where it is being held to this day.